As a triple jumper, you want to maximize your power so that you can reach your top speed when you reach the board and that you will leap far through the hop, step, and jumping phases.
One of the factors that will help you improve is the strength, speed, and power that is generated through the ball of your foot and toes.
There is a chance that you are weak in that area because of the shoes that you are wearing, which is pointing your toes inwards. And you are probably training with your plyometrics, weights, and running whereby the power through your toes aren’t going completely through the middle and that you are somewhat rolling onto the side.
Like with monkey’s feet or cheetah’s paws, you want strengthen your toes so that you are able to claw the ground and get that extra bit of power and acceleration.
These toes separators can help trigger the mental cue needed to have you improve the ‘clawing power’ to improve your speed, power and acceleration.
What do you need to do?
- Ideally, train in barefeet or socks. Or wider shoes.
- Put the toe separators in between your toes. (Especially your big toe)
- You should feel as though you can grip the ground with your feet.
- Do hopping drills for distance and focus on gripping and pulling the ground behind you.
- Do bounding drills for distance and focus on gripping and pulling the ground behind you.
- Do running acceleration drills based on your run-up and focus on gripping and pulling the ground behind you.
You can opt to use them in competition if you feel like they will help.
Also wear them casually around the house to get used to powering through your toes.